admin

Facebook: Friend or Foe?

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Over the past few years, debates have raged as to whether children under the age of 13 should be allowed on Facebook.

Many parents believe that Facebook is good for socializing. Children can stay in contact with distant friends and family, not only all over the country but even on the other side of the world.

Facebook can also provide other services for children. There are many games that are free (although you can be lured into buying extras that let you progress to more ‘exciting’ stages). Overall though, Facebook provides an impressive range of services.

One Year 7 said, “I’m member of a Guide group, their Facebook page provides me with information not given during the meetings. This is a good way of telling others about any arrangements.”

But there is a dark side. Facebook can be a dangerous place for youngsters. Older people, who wish to harm children, can pretend to be much younger and form relationships online, leading to 1 to 1 meetings and the possibility of something bad happening.

Sadly, some Facebook comments are hurtful with some young people using this platform to voice suicidal thoughts; But it is worth noting that it is still unproven whether these acts of virtual abuse are directly linked to a real suicide attempt. Bullying is a massive issue that often happens in schools, but Facebook allows the bullies to continue harassing a child at home, when normally home is a safe environment.

Many though believe that it is unfair to not allow under 13s on a social networking site such as Facebook. Awareness is surely the key; children should be warned of the dangers and use Facebook safely and, if deemed necessary, monitored carefully.

Keira, Year 7

Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar, Alford

8 Responses to Facebook: Friend or Foe?

1. Tori October 2, 2013 at 11:06 am

I totally agree but I have a cheerleading group and without its page we would not know when are next shows are or extra lessons so it can be helpful but speaking to people you don’t know should not be done!

Tori, Year 7
    Priory Witham Academy

2. abbie October 2, 2013 at 11:08 am

I agree that people can be hurtful on Facebook but I think if you are under the age of 13 your parents should monitor your Facebook to make sure you don’t do anything hurtful. Also my gymnastics club has a group on facebook for the members and if we didn’t have it we wouldn’t know if it was on or not and you shouldn’t add people you don’t know

Abbie, Year 7
    Priory Witham Academy

3. Abi October 16, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I think this is a really good article, it describes both sides of Facebook and it has definitely made me more aware, well done!

Abi, Year 9
    The Priory Witham Academy

4. Darcey Tresadern October 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm

This is a really good article! You’ve warned people about the dangers of social networks but explored the good side of sites like Facebook too. I agree that if children are granted access to Facebook when they are under 13, they should be monitored to ensure their safety. Well done

5. Maricia October 16, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I agree that it could be hurtful but I need Facebook to talk to my family in Scotland and find out what’s happening.

6. George October 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

This article is great! you have warned people about the dangers of social networking websites but also contrasted with the up sides of facebook.

Year 7

QEGS

horncastle

7. Zakia October 25, 2013 at 7:12 pm

this was an amazing article 🙂 x

8. Nicole Stacey November 8, 2013 at 8:05 am

Facebook is utter tosh. Get rid of it!