admin
6 Comments

Why Leicester won the Premier League and my team didn’t

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

f1

YJA at Heighington Millfield is full of football fanatics. At the beginning of the season they were all confident that their favourite team would walk away with the Premier League title. In this article they explain why that just didn’t happen.

I think Leicester City won the Barclays Premier League because of their truly outstanding teamwork and deep belief. At the start of the season the bet for Leicester City to win the league was 5000/1 and there were few takers!

The reason why my beloved Manchester United failed to win the league is because they just didn’t work as a team and their manager struggled to get his message across, especially early season.

Ryan, Year 6

In my opinion, Leicester won the league because of their fabulous teamwork – the hallmark of all successful teams. Look at Barcelona and the best teams in the world, they all work brilliantly together. They always seem to hold their own against the big teams.

I support Tottenham, the reason why I think they didn’t win the league is because when it came to minor games like West Brom for example we drew 2-2, which is not good enough when Leicester are winning their games. But the Foxes had their share of luck in some games when the referee made wrong calls for penalties or free kicks.

Anyway, well done Leicester for outplaying everyone in the league.

Will, Year 5

I think Leicester won the league because of their young talent. Jaime Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and Kante have been the stars of the team and personally I think they deserved to win.

My Red Devils however didn’t perform very well. Louis van Gaal, our manager, hasn’t been the best coach and has wasted far too much money on players.

Next season, I think Leicester won’t win the Barclays Premier League but you never know, they’ve done it once.

Jake W, Year 6

In my opinion Leicester won the Premier League because the whole team worked together and that is what you need when you want to win the League. The Foxes have such talented players and that is all thanks to Claudio Ranieri; they are worthy champions.

I support Chelsea and the reason we didn’t win the League is because our heads soon dropped whenever we conceded a goal, and invariably more would follow. The Bournemouth game was typical. We were one nil up and we somehow let them score three goals. That’s my reason why Chelsea did not win the Premier League.

Joshua, Year 6

The reason that I think that Leicester City won the title is simple: counter attacks. I have watched most of Leicester’s games and with Vardy, Ulloa, and Okazaki up front they have pure pace to quickly sprint forward and score. The possession stats don’t lie; Leicester has the lowest in the BPL!

My favourite team is Manchester United and I think the reason that they didn’t win is because Louis Van Gaal has not yet found his managerial feet in this league. The other reason is their defence; their attack is brilliant but their defence needs some work. I hope and pray that Manchester United get some consolation by winning the FA Cup.

Louis, Year 6

6 Responses to Why Leicester won the Premier League and my team didn’t

1. Dave Cottom May 5, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I think Leicester won because they were not expected to so there was no pressure on them to perform. The original aim was to avoid relegation and was achieved comfortably. Claudio Ranieri is an affable chap and the team played for him and he never pressured the players or thought ahead more than one game. It also helped having two of the highest goal scorers in the premiership. As regards luck with penalties etc., yes we were lucky but so were other teams

2. Matt May 5, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Some really good debate here football fans, I’m still in mild disbelief that Leicester have bagged the Premier League title! It really is a season that has seen the underdogs come out on top though team work and a huge self belief from Christmas onwards. I agree with Joshua’s in that possession is not everything in the modern Premier League era and some weeks Leicester’s opponents were just dismantled with quality, fast paced counter attacking.

I’ve loved seeing the East Midlands today reports from Leicester town centre recently, the whole city has been turned blue and got behind their team, once again proving the infamous 12th man can be vital sometimes.

Great article Louis,

Matt
    YJA Co-Editor

3. Kobe May 6, 2016 at 7:18 am

A great read lads!

I think few achievements in recent football history can truly match that of Leicester City’s. Between the lot of you I think you’ve acknowledged the main causes of the Foxes’ success in their undeniable guile, teamwork and lethal counter-attacks. As an Arsenal fan myself, the Gunners bottled their biggest chance of winning the league this year and it truly hurts.

Nonetheless, great contributions from all of you and I look forward to coming articles. Keep up the hard work, you get out what you put in!

4. admin May 8, 2016 at 9:43 am

The Daily Mail’s take on it:

What went right: Vital players were hired for little or nothing and blossomed to become household names intrinsic to the team’s success. Jamie Vardy (£1million from Fleetwood in 2012), Riyad Mahrez (£400,000 from Le Havre in 2014) and N’Golo Kante (£5.6m from Caen last summer) are the standouts but Christian Fuchs (free from Schalke last June) was another example of a canny acquisition of a man with huge experience.

Hard to repeat? Leicester do not strike gold every time, with £9m Andrej Kramaric a case in point, and little-used £5m Gokhan Inler. Vardy took a few years to shine and Mahrez needed to acclimatise.

5. Kyra May 19, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Leicester have been named the national city of sport! Lets just hope the rugby can confirm this as well as the football! Great article Louis, keep watching the sport and writing great articles!

6. Keane June 9, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I never thought Leicester would win the Barclays Premier League! Its a shock to us all. I’m a Manchester United fan. I was jumping on my feet when Manchester United won the FA cup! In my opinion, Vardy helped Leicester a lot. Great article Louis.