admin
24 Comments

A day out to Creswell Crags

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

This is my diary entry for my class trip to Creswell Crags.

Tuesday 10th October

We are going to Creswell Crags today on the bus.

When we got there we were split up into three groups and our team was called the ‘Reindeers’. The people at Creswell Crags gave us helmets with  torches on and we went inside a cave which had lots of tunnels.

The caves were cold and dark and if we didn’t have our torches on we wouldn’t have been able to see anything. I picked a little stone off the walls of the cave and when we walked out the little rock crumbled to pieces.

It was then on to the next activity. A lady there gave us objects and we had to try to make a fire. We couldn’t do it but another group did. We then tried to try catch prey like the way Stone Age people did. There was a fake sheep and a wooden spear and we had to throw the spear at the sheep. I managed to get the spear into the wooden sheep!

Now it was time for the last activity. We walked into a room with a large screen and we watched a video about animals that lived in the Ice Age which was really interesting. We then had to search for types of Ice Age animals in another room which was like a museum. Some of the animals around that time are still on earth today, like hyenas.

It was an amazing day and I think that other schools and families would love it.

By

William – 3B

Nettleham Junior School

For more information on Creswell Crags visit: www.creswell-crags.org.uk

Creswell Crags is a limestone gorge honeycombed with caves and smaller fissures. Stone tools and remains of animals found in the caves provide evidence for a fascinating story of life during the last Ice Age between 50,000 and 10,000 years ago. Further evidence came to light in 2003 with the discovery of Britain’s only known Ice Age rock art.

24 Responses to A day out to Creswell Crags

1. Hayley October 10, 2017 at 6:04 pm

This is awesome .. following in daddy’s footsteps .. journalist in the making!

2. Chris October 10, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Great article. Made me feel like I was there. Makes me want to actually be there. Awesome stuff!

3. Deborah Wilson David October 10, 2017 at 6:17 pm

It sounds like a really exciting day… I want to go there now I’ve read your brilliant report, William.

4. Rex October 10, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Hi William

Greetings from Los Angeles! That sounds like a fun trip, and I wish we did something like that when I was a kid.

You did a great job of writing it up, too! Keep on writing as it is becoming a lost art, and this skill is so valuable.

Best wishes,

Rex

5. Robert Keeley October 10, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Sounds like an amazing day William! Thanks for sharing the experience!

6. Lesley B October 10, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Brilliant report young sir 🙂

7. Sophie October 10, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Wow William!

It looks like you had a super fun day. This is a great article too, really informative. Can’t wait to read the next one!

Well done you.

Sophie

8. Rob October 10, 2017 at 7:08 pm

When is your next trip out? With writing this good I hope it’s soon! Keep up the good work!

9. Zoe October 10, 2017 at 7:21 pm

What an exciting read William! I think I might have to visit Creswell Crags sometime soon and have a look for myself! Glad you are enjoying learning about the Stone Age, it’s fascinating!

10. Sarah October 10, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Sounds like you had a great time William, really enjoyed reading your article. Looking forward to your next one!!

11. David Gibbons October 10, 2017 at 7:43 pm

This is an excellent article William. I am so impressed with your writing; it really makes me wish that I’d joined you today.
    A special headteacher’s award is coming your way this week!

12. Judy Stephens October 10, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I am so impressed with your report William! You remembered all the different activities we did throughout the day and made everything sound so interesting. Top marks young man!

13. Proud grandad Atkins October 10, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Well done William what a very informative report on your visit to creswell crags you certainly take it from your nanny as a writer and reviewer and daddy as a journalist look forward to more of your reviews and reports for your new school

14. Really proud nanny October 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Wow William how cool are you ? I do believe you should now report weekly on all activities you enjoy both at home and at school looking forward to your next exciting adventure.

15. Proud mummy October 10, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Well done William! This is a really interesting and informative report on your day at Creswell Crags. I can’t wait to visit it now!

16. Jo kennedy October 10, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Wow William you have a natural flair for writing! A great article thank you for sharing and well done.

17. Chris V October 10, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Excellent work, William!

18. Irina Ueda October 10, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Sounds fascinating! I live in Japan but I’ll have to visit next time I’m in the UK.

19. Matt October 11, 2017 at 9:51 am

Awesome reporting William! Your Dad’s talent must of been passed down. Sounds like you had a fab day at Creswell Crags, loved reading your report.

Matt

20. Tim Johns October 11, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I’m ashamed to say I hadn’t even heard of Creswell Crags. They sounds brilliant! Good job highlighting the place and especially getting the spear into that wooden sheep.
    Nicely written article too – just as good as the sort of thing I might write where I work, at Radio 2!
    Good job there weren’t actually any hyenas there…

21. Mike Freed October 13, 2017 at 3:11 pm

William, sounds like you had a great time. You make me wish I lived closer and could visit Creswell Crags. Keep exploring and reporting!

22. Ellen Lavelle October 13, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Sounds like you had a great time, William! Well done on spearing the sheep – I don’t think I could do that. I look forward to reading your next report! 🙂

23. Michelle Dawson October 13, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Fantastic willliam I think you should have a column in your school news letter too

24. Proud Nanny & Grandad Whitelam October 15, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Well done William! What an awesome report.