admin
7 Comments

Is Angel Gomes the next Ronaldo?

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

It’s unlikely that many YJA readers will have heard of Angel Gomes but he could soon become a household name.

The highly talented, but relatively unknown, 17-year-old had his chance to impress the Manchester United fans in last season’s 2-0 win over Crystal Palace, replacing Rooney late in the second half (see image).

Gomes also impressed for England U 17s, when he helped take them to victory in the U 17’s World Cup final. (He will be remembered in that tournament for an exquisite free kick against Chile.)

Football pundit, Stephen Howsen commented recently: “He’s an absolute magician. His composure in possession, quality with the ball, vision, decision-making and agility needs witnessing to believe.”

The Red Devils need to act fast, though, if they want to keep him. Barcelona, one of the best teams in the world, are rumoured to be very interested in him. Luckily, Angel is a good friend of his United teammate Marcus Rashford, who is trying to persuade him to stay at Old Trafford.

People are even comparing the youngster to PSG’s star attacking midfielder Kylian Mbappe, which is saying a lot.

With talent to spare, many are even speculating that Angel will be the new Ronaldo. Interestingly, the Real Madrid great has urged his club to buy the youngster before rivals Benfica snap him up!

Gomes is yet to sign a professional contract at Old Trafford so could leave on a tribunal fee of just £4m in the summer transfer window.

Jake, Year 6

Burgh School

7 Responses to Is Angel Gomes the next Ronaldo?

1. admin November 28, 2017 at 11:40 am

Well done, Jake. I like the way you’ve made the comparison with Ronaldo.

Bill
    YJA Editor

2. Matt November 28, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Great article Jake. You have obviously done your research well. You are right, not many people have heard of Angel Gomes but he sounds like a boy with some real talent. I kept an ear on the U 17’s World Cup glory as they reported quite a bit of the tournament on TalkSport radio and I can remember them chatting about his ‘touch of class’ free kick. I hope he goes onto sign for Manchester United as they seem to nurture their young talent very well.

Matt
    YJA Co-editor

P.s For anyone who has not seen Angel’s free kick just YouTube ‘Angel Gomes free kick’.

3. Aston December 1, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Brilliant James, you sure are teaching me more about football.

4. Louis December 6, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Great article Jake. Being a Manchester United fan myself, I have heard of Angel Gomes but I never knew Real Madrid had interest in him!!

5. Jake December 6, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Thank you Louis for the nice comment.

6. Emily December 6, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Well done Jake! I love this article. I have heard of Angel Gomez once on ‘Match of the Day’, but now I can see why people are calling him the next Ronaldo. I can’t believe they are comparing him to Kylian Mbappe from PSG, he’s amazing! Angel Gomez is so quick it’s unreal. How can he do it? I just hope his teammates at Old Trafford can persuade him to stay. There are some great facts about him in your article.

Can’t wait for your next article, keep up the good work!

7. Eryn December 8, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Great article! I know you love football but I never thought about it this way!